Eco Club runs on a Monday from 3.15pm to 4.00pm. The club is open to all children who want to be a part of the Eco-Team. Due to the popularity of this club, the children are usually organised into groups, which each run for a half term. Letters are always sent out informing parents of dates for each group.
The Eco Team have been involved in many exciting and interesting projects over the last few years, all of which have contributed to us achieving the Eco Schools' Silver Award.
Some of these projects include:
- Monitoring electricity usage across the school. We have carried out capaigns each year during 'Switch Off Fortnight' to encourage our school community to use energy more wisely and turn off lights, computers etc. when not in use. The Eco Team have led assemblies and we have had visitors from the council to help us with this.
- Monitoring water waste at lunchtimes. The whole school took part in 'Water Wise' activities which were provided by Sembcorp.
- Monitoring food waste at lunchtimes. We again had a visit from Kirsten Juniper from Christchurch Council who helped to lead us in the 'Silly Sausage' campaign, where we had to show that we were reducing the amount of food we waste in order to earn a reward.
- Tree planting using trees donated to us by The Woodland Trust.
- Designing a new allotment area which is to be built at the front of our school in 2013.
- Organising a Green Day where each year group spent the day learning about different aspects of Eco Schools' and taking part in fundraising activities to raise money for further Eco Team projects.
- Every year the whole school throughly enjoys taking part in the RSPB Big Schools' Birdwatch.